Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lying Through Email

So, in my professor in my Business and Communication class brought up an interesting study in class today. He said that a study revealed that a reasonable percentage of people admitted to being less truthful when they are placed in front of a computer. I also found some other articles and websites that a relevant to this topic. I really have not thought about this question from an email stand point. I would expect that people would  be more willing to lie when on social networking sites, dating sites, etc, but I would not have thought that about email. I figure that email is usually used more often by professionals and people who are communicating for a purpose but I guess not from the article he mentioned. Let me know what you guys think about this particular topic.

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating post Andie. I certainly agree that people tend to be "less than truthful" online, especially in Chat Rooms and online forums. I'm not so sure about e-mail, though. It seems to me that people have some incentive to be truthful and credible when sending a message to a large group via, say, a professional or academic e-mail account. Such accounts are part of their professional online identity and to to get caught lying could have serious consequences for their future careers. The stakes are much lower for purely personal online communication (like internet relay chats, etc.)

    ReplyDelete